Friday, April 6, 2012

Sandra Oh On The George Strombo Show - Full Interview

Sandra Oh's interview on the Canadian talk show George Stroumboulopoulos Tonight aired last night, and now you can watch the full interview in the video below:



In the interview Sandra Oh talks about the various aspects of being an actor and her journey as an actor, fears and spirituality, the challenges of working on television vs. film and maintaining the relationships with the writers and other co-workers on the set, making a conscious choice to stay out of the Hollywood spotlight and not be a 'celebrity', and of course Grey's Anatomy.

Sandra said that she is not allowed to talk about the contract negotiations, but when asked whether she thinks that she will be back on Grey's next year, Sandra said that she loves her job, the show and the character and that she would love to continue to play Cristina Yang.

More about the 'celebrity' problematic in this clip which did not air on the show in its entirety:

Most people know Sandra Oh as Dr. Cristina Yang from Grey's Anatomy. Yet despite Sandra's role in a hit TV show, she makes a very conscious choice to remove herself from the insanity of Hollywood, even limiting the amount of press she does. In this clip, Sandra explains why she values her identity as an actor above her identity as a celebrity, and how she'd react to the end of Grey's.


Quotes from this clip:

"It's too hard to be an actor in this business -- especially now, I don't know why but I feel like it's harder now -- to not have a way bigger picture, and to be aligned with something much greater than getting a part, or being famous, or making money. For me, that's not fulfilling."

"One thing I'd like to bring up is this whole notion of celebrity. For me, I have no idea when I stopped being an actor. I do not consider myself a celebrity. I know many actors who don't consider themselves celebrities, and I just want to publically make that statement, and that differentiation. There's a big difference. 
sandra oh news