Friday, October 29, 2010

A New York Moment With Sandra Oh

To post or not to post (as we normally don't post candids here anymore)... We did. A fan spotted Sandra Oh in New York yesterday. This is her story and it's beautifully written:
We sat outside the Lego store, watching the people ice-skating and trying to figure out where to go next when a woman walking through the throngs of people watching the skaters. Nice dress, I thought. And then I looked at her face… And oh my god. It’s Sandra Oh. Yes, Cristina Yang from Grey’s Anatomy. “It’s Sandra Oh it’s Sandra Oh it’s Sandra Oh,” I whispered to Jill who immediately turned on her camera to take pictures of the actress walking by.
Sandra looked great. She had a funny look on her face – she was half-smiling, almost as if she was amused that she was able to walk through the crowd without people recognizing her. But a couple of girls did recognize her and they immediately stood up to follow her. Jill and I were soon on their heels. If they were going to have photos taken with Sandra, we were going to have photos taken with Sandra too. I expected Sandra to disappear really quickly but no, she just stood under the flags outside Rockefeller Center for a few minutes. Then she spent time watching the ice skaters. She had such a peaceful, happy look on her face that I didn’t want to approach her for a picture. I’m glad the other girls didn’t either. Soon, a man appeared and he and Sandra hugged. They talked for a bit under the flags. “Aww, she’s on a date,” I told Jill. “Now I really don’t want to bug her.” Soon they walked off together arm in arm. They looked so happy. And the look on Sandra’s face as she looked up at him? Pure adoration. Kill me for the cheesiness, I don’t care, she looked so in love. And her happiness was so powerful and tangible that it killed my desire to sulk.
A picture with Sandra would have been awesome but we couldn’t bring ourselves to mess with her quiet afternoon. It would have felt like a real intrusion. Funny how magical New York can be. I was sad because I wasn’t able to meet one of my most favorite Korean women in the world but New York made me feel better by giving me an accidental encounter with another Korean woman I love. Hours later, as Jill was checking her photos from our entire day, Jill noticed that Sandra looked up at the flags at Rockefeller Center as if she was trying to look for one before standing underneath it. So we figured, she and her date probably said, “Let’s meet at the _______ flag outside Rockefeller.” Which is romantic. And cool. And now jet lag is killing me and I’m literally falling asleep as I type this and I normally stop writing when I get sleepy because I know I would just end up waking up the next day wanting to redo the whole thing but I can’t stop and I must not stop. Because I need to tell you that I saw Sandra Oh today and that I love her and that I love New York and that I think New York loves me too.
Source

6 comments :

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this. Sandra looks lovely!

Anonymous said...

I thought Sandra and Andrew were together. That's not him. And I am sorry to even be commenting on it but the whole story was wonderful but don't make up lies about her being on a date. That's just bad form.

A said...

thanks for posting! love her!

in reply to anonymous 2:
shows how much you know

Anonymous said...

Maybe you thought wrong about Sandra and Andrew being together, Anonymous 2. It's bad form to accuse people of making up lies when you're not entirely certain yourself.

Anonymous said...

Sandra and Andrew are broken up, Anon2.

Anonymous said...

I was in New York just a couple weeks after this and totally thought about this moment! Love it!

Post a Comment

sandra oh news